Bachelor of Primary Education

Program code


Available at


Gold Coast

Mount Gravatt


South Bank





4 years full-time equivalent offered over 3.5 years

Credit points


Commencing in

For Continuing Students Only

About this program

As a primary school teacher, you will bring foundations of knowledge to young learners. You will learn about the key disciplines that underpin the national framework for learning and teaching and how to positively apply these to students from Prep to Year 6.

You will study courses such as primary education, curriculum and education studies, and professional studies. You will develop your teaching skills in exciting and varied locations and complete an intensive internship, taking responsibility for planning, teaching and assessing students in a real school classroom.


You may apply to study a specialisation in third and fourth years providing you meet the academic requirements. You can choose from majors in:

  • Health and Physical Education (Gold Coast)
  • Junior Secondary (Mt Gravatt and Gold Coast)
  • Special Needs (Mt Gravatt)*

* This major prepares you to work as a learning specialist for students with diverse needs in regular schools and in settings such as special schools and education units.

Attendance information

The Bachelor of Primary Education is offered full-time on campus. The degree program is not designed to be taken part-time.

This 3.5 year (320 credit points) program is equivalent to a four year full-time program delivered in an accelerated mode; it includes some summer semester core courses.

As a full-time student you will generally attend 10-15 hours of scheduled classes per week throughout the trimester. Classes may be scheduled during the day and evening throughout the week.

In Year 1/Trimester 2, Years 2, 3 and 4/Trimester 1; and Year 4/Trimester 2, you are required to undertake unpaid teaching practice and an internship which require full-time attendance at a practice location on multiple occasions. Placements may be some distance from your campus.

Student Income Support

To be classed as a full-time student, you are required to enrol in a minimum number of credit points each standard study period. The minimum credit points for full-time enrolment in this program is 30 credit points.

Trimester 1 and Trimester 2 are deemed standard study periods. As Trimester 3 is a non-standard study period, continuing students moving from one year to the next will not be required to study during this trimester to be eligible for student income support.

Domestic students who commence in Trimester 3 may be eligible for student income support from the onset of study provided they are enrolled full-time in this study period.

Please refer to the Australian Government website for more details.

My career opportunities

As a graduate, you will be eligible to apply for registration with the Queensland College of Teachers.

You will be prepared for a career as a teacher in the public or private sector which can lead to senior positions such as a head of department or principal.

An education qualification is also a good general qualification for many areas of work. Rather than teaching in schools, you could choose to follow a different pathway, and you may find work in training settings in industry and government, outdoor education, adult literacy, libraries, educational research, education policy, or consultancy.

Griffith University has the highest education graduate success rates in Australia. Our graduates are in demand and find employment in the independent, Catholic and state education systems in Queensland as well as overseas.

Students wishing to seek teacher registration in another state should seek advice from that state's appropriate professional body.

Program accreditation

The Bachelor of Primary Education is accredited by the Queensland College of Teachers.

To obtain registration with the Queensland College of Teachers, graduating teachers must have evidence to demonstrate that their English language proficiency meets the minimum requirements for registration.

Students wishing to seek teacher registration in another state should seek advice from that state's appropriate professional body.

Professional Practice requirements

Working with Children Check (Blue Card)

Information for placements within Queensland

Before undertaking professional experience placements, all students in this program are required to:

  • undergo the Working with Children Check and
  • be issued with a Blue Card.

Students must hold a current valid Blue Card throughout the duration of each professional experience. Students may be asked to present their Blue Card to facility staff on the first day of each placement and should keep their Blue Card on them at all times while attending a professional experience placement.

The University is legally obliged to warn students that it is an offence for a disqualified person to submit a Blue Card application. Further information may be obtained from Queensland Government Blue Card Services, the Education Professional Experience Office or from any Griffith Student Centre.

Blue Card applications must be submitted online by the student via the Queensland Government Blue Card Services website. There is no fee for a student Blue Card.

Commonwealth supported students

  • The fee is indicative of an annual full-time load (80 credit points) in a program categorized to one of the Australian Government's broad discipline areas (student contribution bands). A student's actual annual fee may vary in accordance with his or her choice of majors and electives. The Australian Government sets student contribution amounts on an annual basis.
  • Find out more...

Fee-paying undergraduate (domestic) students

These fees are only applicable to domestic students who are not Commonwealth supported including:

  • Full-fee paying domestic students who commenced their program prior to 2009.
  • International students who have been approved to pay domestic tuition fees after obtaining Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency or a permanent humanitarian visa and who have not obtained a Commonwealth supported place.
Tuition fees
  • A fee-paying undergraduate student pays tuition fees.
  • Students are liable for tuition fees for the courses they are enrolled in as at the census date.
  • The tuition fee is charged according to the approved program fee for the trimester in which the student is enrolled.
  • Find out more...

Program fees for the Bachelor of Primary Education (1049)

If the fee rate for your program is not displayed above, please contact Student Connect for assistance.


Eligible undergraduate fee-paying students may defer their tuition fees by taking out a FEE-HELP loan which is part of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP). Payment of the loan is via the taxation system when income reaches a specified level.

Further information